Welcome to our website. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Rocky & Friend
You will find this website will provide you with all the information you will need
about where to buy (or not to buy) your Yorkshire Terrier, the Pros and Cons of owning a Yorkie,
information on grooming, proper care, and treats to make.
You have access to Club members listed by region with their contact information,
members who have puppies available, Rescue Yorkies available for adoption,
and members who offer other services.
If there is information that you feel is important but is not covered,
please feel free to e-mail us and let us know.
The Canadian Yorkshire Terrier Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging
and promoting responsible ownership, training, breeding and exhibiting of this wonderful breed.
CYTA 2011 Executive / Directeurs
Theresa Franz of Justatitch CKC Reg’d
Wayne Blackman of Nanway, CKC Reg’d
Loreta Serafini of Oz Yorkshire Terriers CKC Reg'd
Lilly DeWitte of Shoalcreek CKC Reg’d
Regional Directors / Directeurs Régionaux
Western Canada/Canada Oest
Western Ontario/Ontario Oest
Eastern Ontario/Ontario Est
Eastern Canada/Canada Est
Kim Skiba of Westmeath Reg’d
Eric Franz of Justatitch Reg’d
Vicky Hamilton of Vickilyn Reg’d
Dwain McLean of Marsuvica Perm. Reg'd
Committee Chairs / Chef Comité
Show Secretary/Secretarie d’Exposition
Trophy Chair/Chef de Trophée
Membership Chair/Chef d'adhésion
Newsletter Editor/Rédacteur de bulletin
CYTA Rescue Chair/Chef de Délivrance de CYTA
CYTAR Rescue Coordinator/Coodonnateur CYTAR Sauvetage
Publicity Chair & Breedlines/Chef de
Publicité et Breedlines
Loreta Serafini of Oz Yorkshire Terriers Reg'd & Julie Baird of Dayjuel Reg'd
Theresa Franz of Justatitch Reg’d
Theresa Franz of Justatitch Reg'd
Loreta Serafini of Oz Yorkshire Terriers Reg'd
Eric Franz of Justatitch Reg'd
Cathy Christensen of Yorkhaven Reg'd
Everything You Wanted To Know About Yorkies
(but were afraid to ask)
written by Loreta Serafini
- Yorkies are a relatively young breed, about 100 years old with origins in Yorkshire, England.
- Yorkies were originally bred to be approximately 10 lbs in weight and were ratters (rat killers).
- Yorkies are distinct because of their unique blue and tan colour and because their coat is a lustrous silk.
- Yorkies of today weigh under 7 pounds and generally over 3 pounds.
- They are a long lived and hearty breed but are prone to a few serious disorders.
- A Yorkie's coat does not shed; it is trimmed much like human hair.
- Many allergy sufferers claim that the Yorkie is hypo-allergenic.
- Yorkies rank 27th on a list of over 100 dog breeds for intelligence.
- They rank higher
than any other terrier and higher than Samoyeds, Newfoundlands, and all Setters.
- Yorkies frequently live to 15 years.
- Yorkies are on the "Top 10 List" for popularity.