Everything You Wanted To Know About Yorkies (but were afraid to ask)
written by Loreta Serafini
- Yorkies are a relatively young breed, about 100 years old with origins in Yorkshire, England.
- Yorkies were originally bred to be approximately 10 lbs in weight and were ratters (rat killers).
- Yorkies are distinct because of their unique blue and tan colour and because their coat is a lustrous silk.
- Yorkies of today weigh under 7 pounds and generally over 3 pounds.
- They are a long lived and hearty breed but are prone to a few serious disorders.
- A Yorkie's coat does not shed; it is trimmed much like human hair.
- Many allergy sufferers claim that the Yorkie is hypo-allergenic.
- Yorkies rank 27th on a list of over 100 dog breeds for intelligence.
- They rank higher than any other terrier and higher than Samoyeds, Newfoundlands, and all Setters.
- Yorkies frequently live to 15 years.
- Yorkies are on the "Top 10 List" for popularity.